Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hi! I'm Danny

             There is never a better place to start than the beginning. Introductions first, Hi! I'm Danny. I am awake early right now because I think they will be releasing LSAT scores today. The deadline is tomorrow, but in the last eight years they have only once not released them early. That was last year because of the Northeast blizzard named Sandy. Unfortunately there was a snowstorm again this time around that delayed test takers up North for a few days, so that is definitely a factor.
               Amelia is still asleep, so I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself and what we are doing. I'm thirty one, going to be thirty two in a couple months. I was a late bloomer as far as school is concerned, and I just graduated Florida State University last August. I have wanted to leave the state and travel the country for a long time, but working while going to community college prevented that. I buckled down to finish my Bachelors when I transferred, and completed my junior and senior years in 18 months. Now having taken the LSAT, I am eyeing law schools. The only problem is that I want to get out of Florida pretty badly, and I am late in the game for law school applications.
              Being the stubborn guy I am, I am not going to let anything stop me. My girlfriend is of the same opinion as I regarding the whole situation. So one day I get the idea that the money we are paying towards rent and other living expenses is just wasted, we have nothing to really show for any of it except surviving this long.
             I came up with the idea a few months back that we should move into a camper. The idea being that we could live as modern gypsies, going wherever the call took us. Any money we would have been paying for rent, security deposit, etc... could be put towards payments on something that would be ours. Unlike the apartments we have been living in we could be free to make modifications or upgrades to our new home.
              We tinkered with the idea of a RV or bus, but we ultimately decided that we would need a second vehicle to drive around wherever we stopped. So we ultimately decided a tow behind trailer would be best with a medium sized truck or SUV to pull it, and to drive whenever the camper was parked. We will try and get the truck first, then scout out a camper. We will spend a month or two working on them while I wait back on my law school applications. Then we will take a journey to wherever I am accepted, if I am accepted anywhere this year.
                If I am not accepted we will just try to find a nicer place to live for the next year while we establish residency in that state and I prepare to apply to schools there and try to find work. Luckily Amelia is a fully licensed massage therapist, so finding work should not be difficult for her anywhere we go. We will hopefully be able to live out of the camper wherever we go while we scout out either a house or apartment we can rent and store the trailer, or we will try to find a cheap plot of land where we can hook it up to water and electricity and slowly but surely start building a domicile.
              As if this does not sound complicated enough, we also have a dog and a cat coming with us. Oh, and Amelia's pregnant sister pretty much left her cat with us because he likes us better, so a dog and TWO cats.
              This is the American dream in action, being able to take up and travel wherever you wish. To be able to find where you truly belong and be able to make it there. Some people wait until they are retired to take this kind of adventure, we are too smart to wait that long. So we thought why not share the journey with the world via this blog.
I am sure Amelia has a lot she wants to share as well, so I will end this post now. Here's to a wide open future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment